Friday, October 8, 2010

Investment checkerboard

I sorted my investments by using a 6 by 6 checkerboard where the vertical axis is used to measure growth and horizontal axis has six categories to place a particular company into. The checkerboard was inspired by Peter Lynch's book "One up on Wall Street" where he introduces his method of mapping a company into one of six categories. Three of the categories are essentially growth categories and three others are: cyclicals, asset plays and turnarounds.

I wanted to give each company two dimensions: growth category and then a second property which essentially gives away the primary reason why I invested into the company.

Here we go:
The growth is measured as yearly average growth from last 3-5 years (depending on what was easily available). Dividend rate is either from Google Finance or then from a local Arvopaperi stock magazine.

At any rate, I don't have cyclicals or turnarounds as I have constructed my portfolio as defensive one. All commodity plays (oil, gold etc.) are asset plays in my opinion. I believe both oil and gold to rally long term and that will unlock the hidden value in the companies (basically the huge leverage they have on these commodities). Then rest of my stocks are pretty straightforward dividend plays. Note that some of the dividend plays also buy back shares and that is not taken into account in the grouping.

This was quite a useful excercise as I now recognise that I should look for some growth plays also. And it would not hurt to find companies that give decent dividend AND grow minimum of 10% p.a.

No comments:

Post a Comment